To be honest it’s getting harder and harder to say something new about pancakes.
Like always, I blended some veggies into the batter – summer squash and parsnip in their raw form, so that I wouldn’t need to heat them twice.
In addition to tofu, soaked raw buckwheat groats and oat bran I also use chickpea flour, which allows omitting ground flax seeds that I generally use in my pancake recipes. After all, it’s better to consume flax seeds raw as opposed to roasted or otherwise heated as heat makes their good fats go rancid.
I’m sure most of you have had dairy ricotta pancakes at least once in your lives. If you need a comparison, I’d say that this is what my tofu pancakes resemble the most.
My Tofu & Cinnamon Pancakes are vegan, plant-based, oil-free, sugar-free, gluten-free (if you tolerate avenin in oats) and also Candida diet friendly.
- 150g (5.3oz) raw buckwheat groats, soaked
- 100g (3.5oz) oat bran
- 30g (1oz) chickpea flour
- 125g (4.4oz) hard plain tofu
- 570g (20oz) naturally sweet plant-based milk (oat or brown rice)
- ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
- 3 tsps. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 70g (2.5oz) raw summer squash
- 40g (1.4oz) raw parsnip, cut into thin slices
Soak buckwheat groats overnight or at least for 6 hours. Rinse and drain.
Add the rinsed groats along with other ingredients into blender and blend until smooth and homogeneous batter forms.
Taste and adjust by adding more salt/spices if necessary.
Take a good quality non-toxic non-stick pan. Add
a few drops of oil onto the pan and swipe it off with folded kitchen
paper. Let all the oil absorb into the paper and use it to swipe the pan
clean between pancakes.
Put a ladleful of batter onto the pan and even
it out with a spoon/ladle or by shaking and/or tilting the pan to get
the exact shape of your pan bottom. The frying time greatly depends on
your stove. I flip it around when it is almost dry on top and also check
the colour of the bottom side.
- Unsweetened applesauce goes very well with those pancakes.
- They are also excellent with my chocolate sauce (see recipe below).
- The pancakes are also very yummy just plain.
- If you don’t have time to soak the buckwheat, wash and drain the groats well and add 100ml of water of plant milk to the recipe.