Anxiety is one of the most common mental health conditions in the United States. In fact, more than 40 million people over 18 have an anxiety disorder. While you may not be able to cure your anxiety with a smoothie, you sure can boost your immune system and some have been known to lower the risk of depression. Many people who are suffering from anxiety do not even know that they are. They may think they are just stressed out. But there are symptoms that can help you know whether it is just stress or an anxiety disorder. Some of these are:
- Trouble concentrating
- Difficulty making decisions
- Worrying about one thing obsessively or everything all the time
- Isolating yourself
- Panic attacks (fast heartrate, chest pain, dizziness, sweating)
- Trouble sleeping
- Weight loss or gain
Tips to Overcome Anxiety
If you think you are suffering from an anxiety disorder or any other mental health condition, or if you just have questions or concerns, you should talk to a professional. The mental health experts at BetterHelp.com are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and you do not even need an appointment. In the meantime, there are some things you can do on your own to help overcome your anxiety. These include:
- Breathe – Take some deep breaths. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth 10 times. Repeat this as needed.
- Meditate – Focus on something. Anything. An object, a thought, or even a song. Clear your mind of everything else.
- Yoga – Similar to meditation, yoga helps you concentrate on your inner feelings and centers you. Pick a pose and hold it until you feel your muscles relax.
- Eat and drink healthy – Fruits and vegetables are excellent for boosting your mood. Mix them into a smoothie and enjoy it while you read or listen to music. However, do not put alcoholic beverages in there because that can make anxiety worse.
- Talk to someone – Whether you talk to a friend or loved one or a professional, it is good to talk about your anxiety. Recognizing anxiety and talking about it gives you a sort of control over it.
If you need someone to talk to right away, contact one of the counselors or therapists at BetterHelp who can help you figure out a way to make you feel better. You do not have to set an appointment, you can be completely anonymous, and you do not even have to leave your house.